→ Here are some guidelines:
- Use systematic random sampling through the entire region of interest.
- Preferential sections are acceptable.
- Thick sections are preferable for use with the optical disector or optical fractionator probe.
- If it is not possible to obtain thick sections, use contiguous pairs of thin sections for the physical disector or physical fractionator probe.
- If the particles whose number you want to estimate are in a monolayer, for instance in a petri-dish or 2-D whole mount, use the disector or fractionator probe.
- For particles with dimples or bridges, e.g., alveoli in lungs, use the connectivity probe.